Travel Teams Overview
The Norwalk Junior Soccer Program is dedicated to the enjoyment and development of soccer players in our community. Our primary focus is to provide an opportunity for every player to have fun, learn the sport and develop life skills including the love of the game. We create a positive environment that fosters players to have fun and learn teamwork. Competition is a natural part of the sport, but it is not the primary objective of the travel program. All travel teams are coached by licensed trainers and coaches.
- Designed for children from U9 to U19 (boys and girls)
- 3 seasons: Fall, Winter and Spring
- Training is run by licensed trainers
- Games are coached by the Head Coach / Paid Trainer
- Fall and spring seasons include two training sessions during the week and a game on Saturday or Sunday. Winter season consists of one training session per week. Additional practices are at the discretion of the coach
- Try-Outs are run in May/June of each season to determine player selection for each age group
- Teams are rostered by NJSA’s registrar
- NJSA’s travel teams participate in the Southwest District League playing against teams in Fairfield County.
- Approximately 200 players are involved in the NJSA’s Travel Program each year
The Norwalk Junior Soccer Club fields travel teams to participate in League Play organized by the South West District (swdcjsa.org) which is under the Connecticut Junior Soccer Association (cjsa.org). It is a Full Year Program that requires a commitment from both players and parents. The number of teams fielded in each age group is primarily based on the number of qualified players who tryout. NJSA staff will evaluate players for teams during our annual tryouts held in June of each year. Players must try-out for their age-appropriate team. If you don’t get invited to join a travel soccer team you can play in NJSA’s recreational program.
Practices & Training
There are two scheduled practices per week as determined by coaches. Attendance is expected at all practices and players should advise their coaches if they are unable to attend or participate in a practice.
NJSA provides training during the fall, winter and spring seasons for each travel team.
District League Games
Teams will play a complete league schedule (usually 6-8 games as set by our SWD District League commissioners) in the fall and spring seasons. These games are normally played on Saturday and/or Sundays, with make-up games scheduled on other days subject to field availability. Attendance is required at all games (with the exception of illness or family commitments).
Connecticut Cup Play
For teams U11 and above CJSA administers the CT Cup, a statewide single-elimination tournament, each fall and spring. These games are normally played on Saturday. NJSA’s U11 teams and above will enter the CT Cup.
The Head Coaches of travel teams are selected and approved by NJSA’s Administrators. If you are interested in coaching a travel team please submit your resume to .
Rules & Conduct
Travel Rules: click here.
Code of Conduct form: click here.